Friday, March 7, 2014

3 Gifts In The Kitchen

Friday. March 7. My birthday. "3 Gifts In The Kitchen." This is today's  "Count 1000 Gifts" prompt from Ann Voskamp.

The kitchen. One of my favorite rooms in our home. OH, I love each and every room, but it is in the kitchen where I can prepare with love food for friends and family. Here I am a few weeks ago (Looks like I was getting ready to use our Crock Pot. I think I was making Slow Cooked Rack of Lamb! Yes, this was on a Sunday, Super Bowl Sunday. HA! I am not even much of a fan. I made a slow-cooked rack of lamb, brown rice, and roasted fennel with red onions, lemon, garlic and green beans. For snacks I made hummus, salsa, guacamole, and carmamel bacon popcorn (via Danielle Rollins ):



I have a Blog named Bruce's Kitchen. It seems somehow appropriate that I gave birth to this Blog on August 12th, the birthday of one of my biggest fans, my daughter, Danielle.

I can still see her sitting in her baby high chair years ago in our brownstone in Weehawken, New Jersey, eating meatballs, her face covered in tomato sauce, giggling "More. More"

I have always loved cooking and I can remember I would help my father and mother prepare meals when I was a child; dicing the pepperoni for the lasagna, cutting potatoes for the frittata, slowly and gently stirring the ravioli.

Maybe the love of preparing and serving food is simply in my genes. My mother's parents owned a small diner called Lawson's Little Diner which was near the Cow Palace in San Francisco, California.


Cooking for me is all about love. Love for friends and family. 

3 Gifts in the Kitchen? I love our hutch and the books and glasses inside it. We bought the hutch, along with a matching dining room table, credenza, and 6 chairs, at an estate sales for $225. Here I am today, my birthday, enjoying a chicken sandwich while reading a book entitled "Keep A True Lent" by Charles Fillmore:


I use all the books.They are both reference books and travel books. Many belonged to my mom and dad. One of my favorites is this one; a gift from my mom:



Look Inside!



Here is a gift I bought for Susan when I was at High Point Market exhibiting my photography:


I love it! It is such a happy painting---GOOD MORNING!  Our kitchen is a gift and wherever you look there is joy---and gratitude!


No comments:

Post a Comment